Background

Monday, October 27, 2008

Proposition 8

Ok, this this was copied from another blog, but it hits the target of my feelings so well, I just had to share it.

If you're still not sure the impact Prop 8 will have on children's education, check out this article:
http://www.pacificjustice.org/resources/news/focusdetails.cfm?ID=PR081022a

I'm sure the administrators at this school will say this is to promote tolerance. Really? Tolerance to kindergarteners? News flash: 5 and 6-year olds couldn't care less about a person's sexual preference. They can meet, play for hours with a classmate, declare they're best friends, but not be able to tell you their new best friend's name. And tomorrow they'll have a new best friend. You, know, whoever can spit the farthest. If this is in the name of tolerance, it's really missing the audience. Kindergarteners don't care if you're gay, straight, black, white, or have food in your teeth. But if you can flip a wheelie or burp your ABC's, you're in their club.

Tolerance has become the virtue of virtues in the eyes of many. Tolerance trumps personal beliefs, justice, honesty, morality, and everything else inbetween. Our society is moving in an "anything-goes" direction: all in the name of tolerance. Forget teaching your children morals, to tell the truth, to be fair, to have mercy, to stand for their beliefs, whatever they may be. All they need in today's world is tolerance. And the ability to drop their own personal values and beliefs to prove it.

Is that really what we want? A society where no one has any personal convictions or stands for anything? Where everyone is wishy-washy and apathetic, all in the name of tolerance?

1 comment:

Em said...

Very interesting. I really like how this kind all boils down to how our tolerance should be tempered with personal belief. In our politically-correct day in age, people have to be careful to not offend anyone, not even those who stand for those things your entire belief system is against. I'm all for ridding our country of sexist, racist, and all other hate-based schools of thought but there comes a time when you are compromising your beliefs to accommodate the sensitivities of strangers. I don't think you have to apologize for believing in protecting your children from issues beyond their age to cope (sex, drugs, violence,etc.). So, haha, I'm just dittoing that.